Re: [RC] RC] dissappointed at ride-reply - Carrie - Chris Paus

Lisa, what a good observation! You are right on.

My first ride, I didn't ride at all, I volunteered.
What an eye opener! I was an in-timer, what a great
place to people watch!  Most of the riders were
fabulous. A few were rude. I made a few mistakes in
writing down times. But all in all, it was a very
satisfying experience.

Carrie, I don't always talk with a lot of people at
rides. I usually keep to myself and take care of my
horse and me. Sometimes after a ride, I take a nap and
don't get real social. It's not that I'm unfriendly,
it's just that I'm concentrating on things I need to
do.

but if someone told me he or she was new and needed
help, I'd be glad to help in any way I could. I once
on the spur of the moment,  helped a newbie through a
whole ride. She wanted to tag along, so we took her
with us.

I think most riders remember their first few rides and
will be glad to help if asked.

chris

--- oddfarm <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Listen Carrie, don't take all the criticism and/or
advice about your comments on your ride in a
negative tone. It's all about learning and I'll bet
you learned a lot.

So the RM didn't have maps. You didn't get lost, did
you? Now you know, not every ride will have a map.
But also realize that map or no map, you could get
lost. So you didn't know about any water on the
trail. Next time, you'll know to ask! However, by
the time you get to the water, it may be all gone.
You didn't take very good care of yourself, but I'll
bet next time you will. No two rides will ever be
the same. Be prepared!

Don't think riders are unfriendly because they don't
socialize on Friday night. We are all busy getting
our stuff ready and taking care of our horses,
hoping to get a few hours of sleep before the horn
goes off. You left after the ride and Saturday night
is when everyone can relax and have a good time.

Everyone has first time ride stories. Some are good,
and some really stink. But if you really love the
sport, you'll be addicted not matter how the ride
went. I thought my first ride stunk. No maps, we
missed several turns, the trail was covered in water
the whole way, it was expensive and no frills. Plus
my truck broke down on the way to the ride. I
remember writing about how bad it was, but looking
back I see it was a pretty good ride. What did I
know? Now I say, "Bring it on!" and ride however I
want to.

The other choice is not to ride at all.

Give it another go, but do your homework first. Once
you have picked a ride, call the RM. You'll know
exactly what to expect, (but all things are subject
to change) and you can be a little better prepared.
Ask the RM to see if she can pre-arrange a riding
partner for you or speak up at the ride meeting.

I am starting to see that nothing can be as bad on
the back of a horse, as what is going on in the real
world. And if someone wants to pray for my safety
while I am riding, I say "Thank you" but don't
forget to pray for those who can't ride.

Lisa Salas, Teh odd farm

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus