[RC] preventing scratches - larry Miller

When you have enough time, a couple of months, give the horse 20 tablets of SMZ (they melt nicely in hot water) a day.  You can break it into two feedings.  Do this for 10 days.  Cannot tell you why this works, but after years of trying to prevent scratches, dealing with scratches, trying all kinds of remedies, Maggie's scratches are gone.  Did 38, 25 at AHAM and MI has tons of sand.  NO SCRATCHES!!  I still check, still sometimes treat just to be on the safe side.  Last night when I checked, there was no heat at all.  SMZ stays in the horse's system for a couple of months so this needs to be done when there are no rides for a couple of months.  Jeanie