RE: [RC] Disappointed in Wisconsin - ranch

"...Upper Midwest, stated that you were not allowed to use water to
help cool your horse down at the p&r...."

The cooling water at a stop during a CTR rule, has nothing to do with
water that goes into the horse.  In fact the UMECRA rules state that a
horse shall not be denied water.

In 10 years of competing in UMECRA, I did not ever experience a ride
where there was not horse water at a scheduled stop, but I guess there
is always a first time.  (If I have ID'd the ride in question properly,
I didn't happen to ever go to that particular ride)

UMECRA CTR RULES ONLY!!

While many shudder that cooling water is not allowed at UMECRA CTR
stops, it is not usually a problem.  If you ride a CTR properly, your
well conditioned horse will be down into the 40's without sponging when
the 10 minute P/R is taken.  Note also that unlimited sponging is
allowed on the trail, and even within the last 2 miles if you do not
stop to do it.  Usually there is adequate "natural" water on the trail
for sponging and drinking.  If there is a very dry loop, the RM can and
will put water tanks out and define their use.  This makes the RM
supplied water "natural"  What is prohibited is having a crew meet you
on the trail with water. If the temperature and humidity are high
enough the Vet can allow sponging.  I have been at some rides where the
Vet allowed 5 minute of sponging on a CTR.

LD AND ENDURANCE UMECRA RULES!!
LD and Endurance follow AERC rules.  Most RM's allow unlimited crewing
on LD and Endurance.  Since most rides are in areas with a lot of road
access, this presents many opportunities for crewing with water and
whatever.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road