[RC] Newbies - Green flag - Ed

I had suggested before for new riders who were willing/interested/inviting
others to give them a hand/advice/watch out for them ought to wear green
ribbons on their horses tail(like stallion ribbons and kicker ribbons). One
rider even mentioned on this forum she was planning on doing that very
thing(maybe she could comment how that went?). If it were a standard
practice throughout the regions/AERC then all would know who is the newbie
willing to receive a tip without getting offended. I would suggest it not
necessarily be on just their first ride but until they felt they were
getting the hang of things. The ride managers could have the green ribbons
available at registration and offer them to anyone who felt they were still
"green" at the sport. Certainly it would not need to be mandatory as a
"green" rider may have a mentor they are with who is planning on seeing them
through. When you are at a ride with 50 to 100 riders how are you going to
tell who is new?  If you see someone on trail, at a vet check or in camp
looking puzzled and their horse has a green ribbon then it is a no brainer
they may need some guidance. It may also help them be invited "into the
fold" if others see them in camp. I really think this idea would be quite
helpful particularly since rides have gotten so big you can't know everyone
and tell who is new and who is not(necessarily).

I know I got help early on from veterans who saw me flailing and came to my
rescue. I had green stamped on my forehead. Others may not be as obvious as
I was!

Just a suggestion.

Ed Roley & Sawyer