RE: [RC] [RC] disappointed in first ride - Laurie Durgin

Sorry you had a bad time-- I have volunteered a few times and joined the regional organization and I think that helps you 'break the ice" and get to know people. Humans are not perfect, neither are rides, like most of life , there are the mountains and the valleys. I think you just got a valley.
Don't give up till you sample some others. That ride may just be on a learning curve.....

From: Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   disappointed in first ride
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:07:51 GMT

Please Reply to: carrie m hadley cmhadley@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was so excited! I have tried for the past four years to be able to participate in an organized endurance ride. From finding the right horse, the great saddle hunt, financing my trailer, and finding a camper within a very limited budget. Have fought with husband over riding time and have gone back to work part-time in order to pay for the horse expenses.
Finally got to go this weekend. Had to go all by myself as no one wanted to do this with me. I walked around camp and introduced myself, sat at the ride pavilion and introduced myself, let everyone know that this was my first time alone, my horse's first ld, etc.. Everyone was friendly enough but not very welcoming as in "please join us". I spent the evening alone with my horse. Ride meeting was short, not very informative. No map, told to watch for boggy areas, 4 buckets of water were placed at a certain point, 12 1/2 miles out and then 12 1/2 miles in.
So, at 5:30 started the ride. My horse is not very fast and we were determined to ride to his ability. Had a great time until we got to the half way (hold) point and realized we were in a gravel pit with no water or grass/hay available. Everyone else had a pit crew who had brought their riders supplies. No one had told me that this needed to be done, that NOTHING was available at the hold. One gentleman took pity on me and offered my horse a bucket of water. We left after our 40 mins and rode back to the water buckets 6 miles up the trail where we took our own 20 min break with water and grass. Back to ride camp, almost exactly 6 hours later. No one there seemed to know what to tell a newbie to do next. Timer took my time, and when I asked if I had to present to the vet then or had a minute to go get the horse a drink, no one could decide. So, I just took the horse to my trailer for a drink and a bite to eat.
Came back to the vet 15 minutes later and got checked in. Almost passed out on the down and back. I had let myself get very dehydrated and had used my water on the horse. Got myself back to camper and this same gentleman from mid-point took pity on my again and made sure I was ok.
I was so frustrated and tired and dehydrated I just sat down and cried. Packed up and came home.
I have done just a couple of rides in the past (about 6 years ago) and they were fun and had a great time.
This ride had no info for a newbie, no trail map, no water, etc at any stop, no coffee, water, food offered in the evening , etc.
What did I get for my $45 entry? A minimal vet check and a trail ride.
My horse did great and I am very proud of him, however, we can go ride anytime and have a great time without feeling left out and discouraged.
Sorry to vent, but the rides out west are MUCH better than the rides in Wisconsin. Not sure I would ever go back.
Thanks, Carrie