Re: [RC] [RC] A few XP photos from week 2 - DreamWeaver

Ok, so I would LOVE it. Sound like the coolest ride ever. Are they =
having one next year??? Would you recommend 2 horses or more than 2? Do =
you guys have places you are going to stop to wash clothes and get more =
supplies? ---Karla Watson

This weekend they are near Fort Bridger in Wyoming so can go get laundry done and shop for supplies on the way. I doubt that anything like this will ever happen again. Logistically, it is just really hard, and there aren't a lot of riders that really want to do something this difficult. Dave did it this time because several requested it, since people aren't getting any younger this was probably the last chance for many. The trail itself is disappearing and being lost, miles of it every year. A lot of the trail we rode on in 2001 is now gone. Our own government is the cause of much of the destruction. On the week I was there I rode over miles of trail that had been graded, gravelled or paved that was a simple dirt pony trail 3 years ago. By making the remote trail more accessible by providing graded and paved roads to it, it also allows more people to access it -- so they come in and destroy it as well. I went over a lot of broken glass bottles on the trail this time, something I never saw in '01. On the day we rode over the Schellbourne pass we went thru a valley right on the singletrack dirt pony trail and saw that several fences are going up right smack dab across the trail. This is supposed to be a National Historic Trail, but nobody is doing anything to keep it open or to keep it from getting fenced off. There were certainly no gates being put in for access.

Karen
in NV