[RC] re:Training Log - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: April pmacedir@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Celeste,

I most definitely keep a training log. I use Excel. A friend of
mine writes hers on her calendar.

I keep track of the date (of course), which trail I did, how
long and how far I went for a warm-up, how long and far for the
training, and how long and far for the cool-down. Excel
calculates my average speed for each of those segments. Then I
have a place for "Notes" where I write anything that I deem
noteworthy about the ride. In the summer, I check the heat and
humidity and record that. I make note if anything went
particularly wrong, like if he stumbled hard or his heart rates
were abnormally high. I also make notes of good things, like he
drank X number of times. I make notes of tack changes, when I
introduce new tack, if he was recently reshod, if he ate well. I
used to keep a log of his heart rates at the different gaits
until I got used to his normal HR, now I just make a note when
the HR is abnormal. I also write down training issues that
either I need to work on or he is getting right. Like I had to
teach him to stand to be sponged and let me totally drop the
reins. I can look back through my log and see where I got fed up
with him walking off while being sponged and where he started to
get good at just standing.

I also include endurance rides in my training log sheet so I can
easily compare how I'm doing at "ride the way you train and
train the way you ride."

Then on another sheet in the same file, I have a list of each
week of the year (Sunday thru Saturday) and can see at a glance
how many miles I rode him in each week. This helps me regulate
his rest times and work load.

A computer program to keep track of all that would be nice, but
I haven't really looked for anything and keep using my Excel
spreadsheet.

I'm interested in this thread as I can always improve my record-keeping skills.

April
Nashville, TN