[RC] Top Ten Reasons to Enter the Allegany Shut Up and Ride (NE) - RISTREE

1.  Entry forms are available by emailing Patti at alleganySUAR@xxxxxxx  (I owe
a few via email, so either remind me, or I'll get them out later today when the
laptop and the electronic entry forms are finally in the same cyber-location.)

2.  We will have two-ply toilet paper in all porta-potties.  (Bonus:
Porta-potty seats will be at the pre-determined optimum height -- if you have a
seat height request, please send in your requests early.)  A map for the
Park-provided dumpster will also be posted conspicuously at the registration
area.

3.  Allegany State Park was recently named one of USA Today's Top Ten Places To
Camp in the USA.  Not only is your camping fee included in your ride entry, but
we can send you information about camping before and/or after the ride to enjoy
the rest of the Park.  There may even be cabins available for that weekend, but
drop me a line soon for more information.

4.  Ridecamp is literally a few miles directly off the Interstate Exit into the
Park.  No turns, and really, no map necessary (tho we can provide one!).
Ridecamp is in Salamanca, NY, about 1.5 hours from Buffalo, 4 hours from
Pittsburgh, 4 hours from Altoona, 3.5 hours from Syracuse, and 6.5 hours from
Philly, all mostly highway.

5.  The weekend of September 11th and 12th is good timing for tune up rides for
Fort Valley and/or Fair Hill FEI.  (Also, if you have kids, they will have gone
back to school the week prior, and you might have time to pack the trailer.)
This year we have a Saturday 50, Sunday 50, Sunday 25 LD, and a Two Day!
[Please do not ask difficult questions -- particularly of a mathematic nature
-- of the Ride Manager on Sunday afternoon.]

6.  You will get to ride in New York State and Pennsylvania all in one day!
The Allegany State Park trails are beautiful -- mostly wide trails with good
footing, but challenging terrain (we're in the foothills of the Allegheny
Mountains).  As Mary Coleman put it so eloquently -- "If you're not going up,
you're going down."  Don't hesitate to ask her, if you see her, which was the
easy loop last year.

7.  Allegany Shut Up and Ride is not just the ride name, it's our ride MOTTO.
Camp is lovely and shady, but primitive.  Even though the facilities make ride
meals a near impossibility, if we can't provide a meal, the Ride Manager will
find a way to order pizzas and wings (the real Buffalo variety) for those who
pre-order (and pay).  [And will find a way to stamp hands to keep non-orderers
from scarfing down the pizza you paid for.]

8.  Last year, I asked every family member, friend, horse chum, acquaintance
and even my dressage instructor to come and work.  And they did.  And you were
so darned nice to them, they're all willing to come back and help again this
year.  Even my brother.  (Not to mention the incomparable Buck Shrader!)

9.  We give out a "To Finish Is To Win" Award for a randomly drawn completer in
each of the 50 mile rides, and it's the same durned prize the "winner" wins!
And a "Looking Good!" Award to the LD rider whose horse looks most ready to
attack another 25 miles, regardless of placing.

10. We donate some of the ride proceeds to the local riding program for the
disabled.  [Note:  No real "proceeds" last year, but we raffled off a
bridle/breastcollar donated by Running Bear Farm and donated the proceeds from
that!]

Bonus Reason #11:  Last year the Ride Manager had one sip too many of Drambuie
and tipped over backward in her chair at the campfire.  Repeat performance this
year?  Who knows.  Be at the post-ride campfires and find out for yourself.

Drop me a line if you're interested in an entry form, or would like to join my
brother in volunteering.  :-)

--Patti Stedman, Ride Manager, Allegany Shut Up and Ride