[RC] Sportsaddle users - knee protection? - Karen Casemier

I've been riding in my sportsaddle for over a year now, and though I haven't been to a competition, I've been getting a lot of training miles in. Overall, I'm very happy with the saddle - I had just about given up hope finding something that would work for my mare, and she has not had any back/shoulder problems since I started riding in the sportsaddle.

I do have one problem - and that is the rings where the stirrups attach. I absolutely cannot ride with the big bulky nylon stirrups that came with the saddle - I end up with huge bruises on my knees. I switched to a pair of English leathers, cut short, and I attach them backwards so the buckle is down near the stirrup so I don't have buckle bulge. However, I still get rubs from the ring itself that the stirrups are on. I had been riding in one of the Delux Endurance/Western sheepskin covers from Sportack, but this never really fit my saddle well, and I had problems with it constantly coming off the flap or shifting to the rear and bunching under my leg (and believe me, I have tried adding additional velcro, duct tape, you name it to get this thing to work - it just does not fit my saddle). I've also found that for some reason, my balance is better if I ride in a seat-only cover. I have no idea why.

I've thought about trying to add some sort of protection under the saddle flap itself, directly over the stirrup ring. Before I go adding yet more duct tape or velcro to my saddle, though, I thought I would see if anyone on ridecamp had suggestions. I know many of you use this saddle, so SOMEONE must have come up with something!

Thanks!

Karen and Mazzie