[RC] overheating - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Rebecca Bianchi rebecca_bianchi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a large Spanish Arab that has thick, dark skin, and a relatively thick
summer coat.  He has done two 25's and two 50's.  The problem I am seeing is
that he is fine in cool weather, quite forward and happy, but when the heat of
the day hits and we have lots of climbs left he wants to quit.  Our first 50
was in cool weather, we took almost the entire 12 hours and he finished pulling
on me.  Our second 50 started off cool, but mid day brought oppressive heat and
I ended up having to walk beside him, almost dragging him up the hills.  Is
there any kind of training, feeding schedule or supplements that would help
him?  Any input and/or suggestions are welcome.  I really love this horse and
want him to be happy. If endurance will hurt him I'll switch him to hunters or
dressage instead. Thanks in advance. RNB

swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond