[RC] What has become of ridecamp? 2 0f 2 - Nick Warhol

And it’s not just Ridecamp- this phenomenon takes place on every public internet mailing list, from sport pickup trucks to tiddleywinks.com.  Unfortunately for everyone, the only way to get around this problem is to just quit participating.  A lot of really great people don’t even look at Ridecamp anymore.  That’s really too bad, and only hurts the others who are trying to make it work.   Ridecamp has the potential to be one of the best things in our sport, yet it is constantly cluttered with depressing and annoying junk.  I’ll probably get flamed for this post, but what the heck.  All I can do is wish for people to stop and think about what they are doing before posting.   Think about what you are sending and why.   If you are really mad about something, this is probably not the right forum to convey your anger.   If someone posts something you don’t agree with, you really don’t need to respond with counter negativity.   If you feel the need to send a complaint, stop, take a breath, and really consider what you are doing.  Will it really help?  If you read a post you don’t like, cuss the sender out at home, scream in a pillow, yell at the dog, but use restraint.  You don’t help the situation by replying with counter negativity.  All it will do is generate more negativity.  Doesn’t it seem like the posts on Ridecamp fall into one of two categories?  I have heard so many people say “If we could just get rid of the crap?”  There are still lots of great things going on.   Ask questions about anything.  Send the ride stories.  Get to know the other Ridecampers.  I don’t think anyone even cares if the topic strays a little.  (Spiders?  I loved all that!)

All I ask is that you try and imagine the time when the list was a big group of friends who were helping each other and having a great time doing, it.  Some of these posts- would you talk to someone like that around a camp fire?  I doubt it.

Thanks for listening- end of sermon.

Nick Warhol

Hayward, Ca