Re: [RC] Anger on Ridecamp. Cricketts in Idaho. - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

I just got my phone installed (three cheers for Egyptian efficiency everyone!) after a wait of four months in time to hear all of this nonsense about Lynne. I've never met Lynne (though we have friends in common) or gone to one of her rides or anyone's rides for that matter, but I CAN tell you something about ride management.

My introduction to endurance was having the management of a 120 km ride sponsored by Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai thrust upon me, and I personally believe that the day on which a ride occurs is as close to a day of hard labour of the gynecological variety as anyone is going to get without actually being knocked up. ANYTHING AT ALL that a ride manager says on that day should be discounted entirely or taken with a grain of salt, much the same that women in the throws of labour pains are likely to make some truly extraordinary assertions about their male partner that should usually also be discounted. Been there, heard that....naturally, I NEVER would say such things, but I did throw a water bottle at a real live Egyptian Army general at our ride. Everything at our ride was sponsored and paid for by His Excellency, including plenty of things that never existed, and I still ended up significantly out of pocket. So much for making money. Nope. This has been a silly thread and everyone needs to go have a beer.

Ride management is exhausting, exhilarating, crazy work. If you've never done it, don't bitch. If you have, you wouldn't dream of bitching. One of these days I'm going to stand in the sun too long and volunteer to do another ride without His Excellency's blessings, but until then I'm going to have to settle for providing equine actors for the History Channel. That's right, Nazeer (Jackie's mount while she was here) and Bunduq (Tracy's) are going to be in a History Channel episode as the mounts of the (total-equine-novice) narrator and his faithful Ayrab guide, our own Morad. We shoot next weekend at Sakkara Pyramid complex. Should be a complete hoot. And oddly enough the production assistant who arranged this got my email from a friend of a friend of a friend (messages went from the US to Europe and back) who were involved in endurance. Her main requisite was a horse who could carry someone through the desert without killing him. Bunduq's good at that, as Tracy can attest.

Have fun with the crickets, Steph. Sounds utterly yucky.

Maryanne