[RC] Rides Losses and Accounting Degrees - mkrumlaw

If this sport is to progress internationally -  this is an issue -
Rides have to be 'business ventures' and make money.  I  have not put on
a ride.  Yet, perhaps it is time..... so that I may truly  understand why
they do not make money and to perhaps figure out how they  could.  (I
have a degree in international business - perhaps it is time to  put it
to good use <smile>)

I don't think it's fair to imply that ride managers should have a degree
in finance to understand how to run a profitable ride.  As it turns out I
do and have spent 25 years working at higher levels of finance.

Any successful business starts out with a budget or plan.  The key to this
plan is the ability to forecast revenue and then manage your expenses. In
this case you would need to know how many riders will show up for the
ride.  Of course having this knowledge would make ride management too
easy.  It would be mean you would know how many T-shirts to order, how
much food to buy, how many potties you needed, how much water you would
need, how many awards, how many vets, how much help to have, etc, etc, etc.

Then you always have your unexpected expenses. A few years ago a serious
flood hit the area the day before the ride and only a few riders were able
to make it to the ride before the roads where closed. At this point a ride
manager usually has all of their costs into the event.  If no one shows up
to ride, the ride manager looses money. In this case I lost quite a bit. I
didn't mean that as a complaint, just an observation of how my finance
background didn't help with this particular expense.

MKS

This message was sent using MailMan
provided by Good News Internet Services
http://www.goodnews.net/

--
dangerous content by IntelliBlock MailScanner, www.intelliblock.net
and is believed to be clean.

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the
most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally,
others need to learn. On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse,
an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's
the rebound effect of the two beat trot)
~  Dot Wiggins