[RC] re "making money on a ride" - Karen Bratcher

>>are they not also considered a "business venture" and a way to make money?<<

I would be very surprised to learn of a ride making enough money to be considered a business.  Okay well maybe Tevis, or the very few other huge, well known rides that have been around a long time.  Any money they make would probably be sunk into next year's ride to make it better.  And there is never enough to compensate the time of the RM and all the volunteers.

Several years ago I researched the cost of putting on a ride, and it looked like you need to have at least $2000.  Maybe you can get some things donated or sponsored, but still, SOMEONE or a multitude of someones has to come up with that much money to cover the expenses.  Vets are expensive (though worth it and of course they're not charging near enough to cover the cost of their time at a ride) and you need at least two even on a small ride, three is better.  Completion awards and division/BC awards if desired.  Trail marking supplies (paint/chalk/flour, flagging, paper plates, indelible markers).  Fees for land use.  Insurance.  Rider fees to AERC.  Food, drinks and often thank you gifts (ride logo tee or hat for example) for volunteers.  Water tanks and trucks.  Clipboards, pencils and pens, paper, rider cards.  Gas and time preparing the trail.  Etc, etc.  Lots of little things that add up to big money!   I have it all in a Word doc though the prices are already way out of date I'm sure :-)

Karen Bratcher aka Ready
"On the back of a horse there are no limits"