[RC] Lightning! May 2004 EN Article - Tina Rushing

I'm sure y'all read the article in the May issue of Endurance News that
states that when seeking shelter in a storm fully enclosed trailers are
safe, the steel frame protects the occupants and "... lightning will travel
around the metal frame to the ground..."

If this is true, why was Chris' horse injured? (please read article in full,
I thought it was very good; among other things it is suggested that windows
and doors be closed, ramps up, chains not touch the ground).

Just looking for more information, and I'm scared of lightning!

I'm glad Chris' horse survived, I can only imagine how horrific it was to
discover her injury.  I'd have had a full-tilt-bozo meltdown on the spot.
Only the smoking remains of my boots and a greasy puddle would be found on
the driveway.

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA
(we don't have much lightning here, but I'm anxious by nature)
(yeah, our property taxes are obscene but lightning and tornados are as rare
as hen's teeth)
(okay, I still dream of living in the wild beauty of Idaho, Montana, etc.
and I'll never stop so keep telling us about your acreage and tiny little
tax bills and the glory of the changing seasons, I love feed to feed my
dreams  :-)

Chris wrote:
....We finally got home about midnight. I pulled the mare out of the trailer
and my husband said, what's wrong
under her tail? I looked and she had a big red donut where her poop hole was
supposed to be. Her rectum had
prolapsed! I looked on the trailer door and it was full of blood and tissue
and feces! I had never thought to look at the back end of the mare when I
checked her in Iowa...

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher