[RC] Horse Struck by Lightning - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Ruth Abair shakesbearides@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Ridecampers,

My Arab 9 yo, healthy, in good shape and current on all shots. We were getting
ready to
start competing in LDs this fall when he was struck by lightning last Friday.
The best we
can tell is he was drinking out of the pond when it hit. It entered his mouth
and exited out
his ear. It's been hell week since. The vet has treated him each day with a
three gallon
concoction of water mixed with DMSO, salt, etc. and steroid and banamine shots.
His corneas
have been burned and we are treating them with eye ointment. He is as wobbly as
a new
born foal, can hardly see, and he drools/slobbers as if he just got out of the
Dentist's
Chair - but he's a fighter. He is able to drink a little on his own now and we
switched him
to Equine Senior feed - pellets that can be easily digested. I am a realist and
know that
it will be months before we know the full extent of the damage. My question is
"Has
ANYONE experienced this before and would they please share with me - online or
offline -
their thoughts, opinions, positive or negative? It would be greatly
appreciated. Ruth Abair
shakesbearides@xxxxxxxxxx

This weekend, many of you are at rides...25's, 50's or 100's.  You are the
lucky ones.  I know you did whatever you had to do to get to 'em.  I know
that each of you go to 'em with different so-called "goals" in mind...but I
also know that each of you cares for your horse and realize that "carrying
you" is the least of what he/she does for you.  LIFTING YOU is the true
effect.
~  Ryder