Re: [RC] Ca Breeders - SandyDSA

In a message dated 6/23/2004 2:06:16 PM Pacific Standard Time, woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
but then we don't know if Huck is capable
of a longer trot-- i
wow no truer worsd were ever spoken and that IS indeed the rub! A good Arabian SHOULD be capable and excel at an athletic stride at ALL gaits! UNderstood the ballet inference - and in itself ballet is exquisite,  but surely is not a suitable mode of transport to "get down the road" nor to work efficiently. A horse  need not be inefficient or a rude ride to be beautiful; conversely, nothing is more beautiful than the exquisite movement of a powerful animal using himself fully and efficiently. THAT is the horse I want to be on.

As for Huck as a race horse sire - as in every other "super sire"....let's NOT forget the dam. Give me a quality mare over ANY stallion ANY day. A well promoted stallion has his "pick" much of the time of the very best - or worst, depending on your take of quality - of mares. Giving 100 or more foals a season in some cases (OUCH!), there are bound to be notable stars, just as there are bound to be even more flops. Of course, I wouldn't advertise on the backs of the flops, would you:)?? I wonderde at this - must be in Europe, since in ten years close to the track, the HUGE majority of horses, successful and otherwise, were of Polish extraction, with a few of Egyptian heritage and others sprinkled in there for good measure.

Oh well - the athletes do indeed rise above the....trot.