Re: [RC] excessive drinking - heidi

My horse Gabriel drinks way more water than is normal.  I don't notice
it so much in the winter, but in the summer its amazing how much he goes
thru.  His pee is always clear.  I went on a 2 hr ride the other day and
he peed 5 times.

I have noticed this the past few summers, but if anything its worse this
summer.  His health appears excellent otherwise, coat and weight are
good, never colicy or any other problems.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Well, yes and no.  I'd be concerned enough to take the time to rule out
kidney function problems, check on salt consumption, etc.  Not sure if
diabetes is apt to be an issue in an otherwise fit horse (I'd worry about
it if he were a cresty-necked obvious candidate, for sure)--you'd have to
talk to someone more knowledgeable about insulin resistance, etc. than I
am.  But if nothing obvious surfaces, I'd just count my blessings.  There
ARE horses that just do this.  And if there are no underlying
physiological causes, then it isn't a harmful thing.

Heidi

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano