[RC] HRM problems - Mateef

I have had a HRM for 10 years or so. The gelding I have now gets the craziest
readings.  I can get a normal resting pulse shortly after getting on. As soon
as we start moving down the trial, he shows working numbers in the 190's and
200's. After walking for a while, when it is obvious he is calm and relaxed,
it's still reading 170 or more. At vet checks, when the P&R people try to use a
hand held HRM, they get high readings. They almost always have to resort to a
stethoscope. Is there some way I can use my HRM?  I have always put the short
lead on the near side under the saddle, down and back of the withers and the
long lead on the off side under the girth.  Any suggestions?  Ideas?

Sallie AERC #15099
If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair