RE: [RC] Training for Tevis - Teri Hunter

Don't forget to take pictures.

Teri

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Cowgirgoof@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2004 11:41 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Training for Tevis

Well it seems almost surreal that our countdown to Tevis is getting so much
shorter now...
After 15 months of constant planning, dreaming, riding, and flexing, it's
only a little over four weeks now until Roxanne and I load up and head to
the other side of America.
Yesterday, we met up on Sugarloaf "mountain" to ride with Maris and Randi on
a late afternoon training ride in our Florida sand hills.
I can almost guarantee that the heat index was about 170 when we got started
at 4:30. The only training advantage for Tevis that we probably have coming
from Florida will be the heat factor!

Unfortunately, we spent the whole 17 mile ride trying to "outrun" a
lightning storm. I did comment to Maris at one point that we must be
absolute fools to go out knowing that storm was bearing down on us! What we
endurance riders do for a thrill.
At least the breeze did cool it off somewhat, but not all that much...

My husband and I are taking George up to Jim Holland's place in Blue Ridge,
GA this week to get in some real mountain conditioning. Since George is
really fit, we just plan to do some LSD and work on our mountain descents.
Jim says he'll take me to some places that will scare me, (and I told him
that was fine, as we don't have much to scare us in Florida unless you can
call alligators in our drinking lakes scary!).

As for me, I've gotten as fit as a fiddle and can jog 2.5 miles or bike 6 in
98 degree heat with no problem. Hopefully I'll be up to traversing those
canyons during the heat of the day at Tevis.
Although I'm still whining that for all the effort I've put into getting
into shape, I haven't lost that much weight; I've just turned it into
muscle.

Thanks to all the southeast region for their support on Roxanne and I's
great adventure- we'll keep you posted closer to departure time.

Becky and Gorgeous George (the borrowed mustang)
When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond