Re: [RC] breed destruction - heidi

It depends on the knee problem. Problems in the cartlidage can make it
extremely difficult to have the knee bent as much as required by posting
 - even it you do it right. Same for an ACL or MCL problem. Some people
just can't comfortabely ride the trot for a long period of time. You are
 right if you knees are relatively healthy to start with and they start
to hurt - time to check how you are riding. But if they are trashed to
start with - sometimes a gaited horse is the best option.

I somehow managed to dump the response about the problem being due to loss
of cartilage, etc., so that it is the motion that is the issue.  That's
one of the things about a horse with a long, low trot instead of the big
flashy trot--the former requires very little motion on the part of the
rider in order to post (and in fact, on downhills, it is so smooth that
one just about CAN'T post--a couple of my horses have been smooth enough
to sit the downhill trot).  That's why it is so easy on your body in
general.  :-)

Heidi

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith