Re: [RC] breed destruction - heidi

hmmm - the only Arabians I have had this kind of porblem with are th
eones  who I acquired grossly overweight - who I had trouble actually
gettin gmy legs  around. When they fitted back up and lost a foot in the
girth, not only was it  a smoother trip down their flanks for my legs,
but their fitness created  softer, more efficient movement.

There are Arabs and there are Arabs, too.  Not to get back into the thing
about traditional breeding, but here is a quote from Albert Harris in his
article to the US Remount magazine in 1944, which was used as a preamble
to the American stud books:

"He is short-coupled, has good, dense bone, strong tendons, and good feet,
and so can take his rider over any kind of country and go on indefinitely.
His endurance is proverbial. He is an easy horse to sit on. His gaits are
so smooth and elastic one does not grow fatigued. This, no doubt, is
accounted for by the fact that he does not lift his feet high or pound the
ground. He is a good walking horse and has a nice trot, at which he merely
lifts his feet high enough to clear the ground, and his canter, or gallop,
is low, but smooth and graceful. "

Having ridden a great many like this (as well as a few of the other kind)
I can tell you that horses like the above do not stress one's knees.  The
above quote also underscores how much our breed has been altered by modern
breeders...

Heidi

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop