[RC] Saddle Fit - Lisa Jordan

I’d like to add to the idea of static measurement for saddle fit.  There are many ways to measure your horse so that you can have a “template” to send to saddle makers, take to stores, etc.  There are a few types of gauges (Saddle-Tech, Andy Foster’s Rod and Dowel and more).  You can use an Equi-Measure, plaster casting, take tracings with a flex curve and make a “back shape from cardboard.  I saw a heat molded plastic cast last week that was HUGE!

Most of these methods take some training to use with repetitive accuracy, but don’t let that scare you.  Most have a way to state where “level” is – that is; what angle the horses topline is in relation to the ground.  This can be helpful to be able to judge saddle balance.

The most important thing about static measures is – they are just that.  Saddles have to fit when the horse is in motion with the rider atop.  Because a saddle fits while the horse is standing still, may not mean a thing when the horse is moving and the rider is a factor.

Static measures are great tools to rule out what definitely won’t fit.  They do not necessarily tell you about what will fit.

After finding a selection of saddles that might fit – it’s then appropriate to try the saddles to assess fit for horse and rider.  There are tools to help here too.  The best tool overall, though, is your horse!;-))  Others are the computer pressure testing systems, Port Lewis impression pad, Thermography…. Best yet to use some of these methods in tandem for accurate information.  Again, use of tools can take experience, but there’s no reason not to try.

As we change in how our bodies move, so do horses.  Along the way changes to saddle fit may be necessary.  I think of saddle fit for horse and rider in Endurance as a system that needs to be managed as horse and rider change.

Look for saddle companies that will give you at least a one full week riding trial if not longer.  I think many of the saddle companies associated with Endurance are leading the industry in “trial periods”.

This really is a fascinating and challenging subject!

Lisa

Lisa Jordan

The ReactorPanel saddle Co.

1-866-620-8698