[RC] Mysterious gouges/hoof - Laurie Durgin

Well I asked the vet yesterday to look at Rascals hooves where all four have chips-gouges, in the same place from the coronary band down about 1/4 inch that appeared similtanously about 2 weeks ago.(there are 3-7 on each hoof). Now this horse has "iron hooves" ......
Thankfully they aren't deep enough to be serious. The vet couldnt' figure it out either, I mentioned they were fine, a week after he was shod I noticed them. We had gone out on the trail, we had crossed the creek twice. I had trimmed his legs in late march /early April. The farrier does rasp a bit of the top of the hooves , but has never injuried him or the others. The other two horses don't have them. If it had only been one or two dings I'd think rocks . No damage to his knees or legs so wasn't a fall... I wondered about insect damage or something.
Here is the only thing he said--"It looks alot like what happens when they chemeically sore Walking Horses, as it grows out the hooves like pitted and gouged like that."
They live here on our property, no boarders. I did weed kill 2 month2 or so ago, but didn't let the horses on the grass for a month after that. Haven't fertilized since Febuary.You'd think the other two would have it then too....
All we came up with is maybe we encountered something out on the trails, maybe something like gasoline or oil in a puddle--- but I do rinse him when we get back......
We couldnt' come up wtih a clue. I just hope this is a one time thing.....

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up ? now 3 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

I think the term P&R, now, is really "Peeanar"... a word that means "vet
check".
~ Bonnie