[RC] Point Reyes Trails - Gary Fend

Many years ago, an older, retired hiker went out every day with a distance wheel and measured the mileage of all the public trails in the Bay Area.  The information  was used as maps were updated through the years.  The East Bay Regional Park District maps thank him for his contribution.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Point Reyes mileage (on the maps, not the sign posts) was obtained in the same way.  About 15 years ago I ran into him measuring trails near Silver Lake, south of Tahoe.  I guess he ran out of trails in the Bay Area.  I haven't seen him in years, though.

Gary

sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Heh Truman:

The trails out at Point Reyes are mapped out to the 10th of a mile but it would be nice to go back with my GPS and check the distance (I'm sure they didn't do them with GPS way back then).