[RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: mkornwolf mkornwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For those of you who haven't done a ride involving steep
ascents and descents, like the infamous Sherman's Gap at the
Old Dominion, take my word that you go down steep hills
much faster if you dismount and lead your horse. 2 legs
are nimbler than 4, I guess. I get off anyway because it
makes me feel sick to ride a horse downhill. And I usually
get off on long steep uphills because "if your horse can
only manage a walk, so should you" (time to feed carrots!)

I recall a childhood book (Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder)
in which she describes how a Native American outran the
trotters at a county fair, but the distance would have only
been a mile or so.

Back to the OD, I had the pleasure of riding all day behind
one of the few 5,000 mile horses on the East Coast, Karen Isaac's General Jeb
Stuart. Jeb moves down the trail like
nothing you've even seen, and he pulled along my Shiloh and Debbie Schultz's
horse Buzz up AND down Sherman's before dark.
WOW! We didn't think we could go that fast, but having it demonstrated before
our eyes was quite an inspiration - she
made it seem easy!

Since no stories about this year's OD 100 milers made it
to Ridecamp thus far, I will laud Stagg Newman who discovered
we'd been sent out the wrong way one the 2nd loop. He turned
a bunch of us around before we did even more not-counted miles.
My guess, based on how far ahead of me they left the hold, is
that Stagg and Sue Greenall's horses did at least 6-8 extra
miles. So that why he finished (& won) later than "usual" :)

Thanks to me, Karen and Debbie and I missed a section of trail
on the second loop so all we could try for was a completion,
but it was a strangely liberating experience. Having a mini-
team of good buddies to ride with made the day fly by. I
recommend this approach to anyone trying the OD 100 for the
first time - find a few riders going your pace & stick with
them even if it means waiting a few extra minute sin the hold.

I was feeling queasy all day long and can't imagine doing a ride
as arduous as the OD without crew. Amy Johnson drove down from
PA to help me and trotted out Shiloh at every check but the 1st.
When Shiloh pulled a shoe just a few miles out from the finish,
around 1 in the am, my heart sank. He was a bit off on pavement
but once the EZ boot was in place, sound on grass. Thanks again
Amy for doing that final trot out!

Finally, I read with interest "goearth" Tom Sites post about
riders coming into a check looking so worried when "this is
supposed to be fun." Good point, but it takes A LOT of determination and
resolve to make it through a 100 miles, especially the OD. You can't let little
stuff get you down. Kudos to everyone who made it!

Mary in VA

liberating to be out of competition

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle