Re: [RC] Bucking - heidi

Don't fool yourself that Arabs don't buck!

Some sure do.  But my experience has been that fewer of them do, and when
they do, fewer of them get really serious about it.  And with the Arabs
that I've seen that DO buck, there is almost always an instigating
cause--such as bees, thorns between the cheeks, etc.  Most don't buck just
to get rid of the rider.

I've also seen Arabs put up with torturous amounts of discomfort from back
pain, etc. without the slightest inclination to buck, trying their best
just to do their work--pain that would have sent many other horses sky
high.

My own shame-faced incident had to do with a broken saddle tree--the one
and only time that my old "Junior" ever had a sore back.  And I'm tellin'
ya, it was a REAAALLLLY sore back.  I was doing a VERY tough
100-miler--and he would just grimace when I got back on and "warm back
into it" out on the trail.  Had no clue what agony he must have been in
until afterward--and it was then that I went hunting for the cause and
found the broken saddle tree.  He should have pitched me up into the
clouds to get rid of the pain--but instead, he doggedly completed 100
miles...  THAT's an Arab for ya.

Heidi

This weekend, many of you are at rides...25's, 50's or 100's.  You are the
lucky ones.  I know you did whatever you had to do to get to 'em.  I know
that each of you go to 'em with different so-called "goals" in mind...but I
also know that each of you cares for your horse and realize that "carrying
you" is the least of what he/she does for you.  LIFTING YOU is the true
effect.
~  Ryder