[RC] TB vs Arabian at a mile - Magnumsmom

Chris wrote:

"
My stallion is a retired Arab racer. He ran from 1986 to 1990. He won quite often and his best races were at the mile. His times were about 1:54 in the mile. I do believe current Tbs run the mile faster than that, but I'm not sure how TBs who raced in the same decade as Szybki stack up. chris"

Magnum ran in 1983 and 1984 as a 2 and 3yo.  His time for the
mile was 1.46 and he was slow.  He ran in one stakes race and
finished 5th.  He won 5 times at a mile, 1 1/16, and I think
1 1/4.  I'd have to look it up.  At 5 len/sec the arab would be
40 lengths back at the wire.

I loved the Seabiscuit movie, but in their depiction of his win at
Santa Anita (the last race in the movie) they used a white
arabian.   You can see him as they pass the horse on the far turn.
I actually laughed out loud in the theater.  Oops.  It's one way to
make sure the star TB wins.

:) - Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM