From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <GarnerT@xxxxxxx>; <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 6:23 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] Bucking

  Funny, after starting to read this thread, I just read Clinton
Anderson's
article , he said bucking (unless it's a bee thing) is related to
disrespect  of the rider, and you should do more ground work first and
get respect  there, then you will  have it in the saddle.

I agree that ground work is good to KEEP a horse from becoming a bucker,
but if a horse already IS a confirmed bucker and enjoys doing it, I'm not
sure you will gain any respect by doing the groundwork.  The only way you
are going to "gain respect" in such cases is to demonstrate to him that
bucking does not work--not a task I care to take on.

But in addition to the respect issue, some horses buck due to pain.  Back
pain in general and poor saddle fit in particular can be real issues.  So
before you spend a lot of time on groundwork or on buckaroos, check out
what might be hurting, too.

Usually the "bee sting" sort of bucking is only a few hops, and quits once
the horse figures out that whatever triggered the episode has quit bugging
him.  (Unlike Ed, I still call this "bucking"--he humps his back, lowers
his head, and bucks--but like Ed, I differentiate this from the more
serious sort!)

Heidi

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith