[RC] A volunteers experience at the Old Dominion. part 3 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Amanda Perez walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 The next tyime I volunteer, I will get involved earlier.  I plan to offer to
help out with the volunteer coordination and putting together the volunteer
info packets.  The management could make much better use fo their website and
email to distribute info to vets, riders and volunteers BEFORE the event.  Had
I known where the vet-checks were ahead of time I could have visted them before
hand or printed out maps from pa-quest.   I also will volunteer myself and my
trailer as an abulance. They had only two (I think) trailers doing abulance
duty.  I also have some friends who are into ham-radio and will ask them about
soliciting ham radio clubs for volunteers: more radio operators would have made
the head vets' life MUCH easier.

  I heard someone say that there were a record number of treatments, don't
know if it was true or not.  One horse with colic was shipped to Morven Park
equine hospital but was fine when it got there and did not need surgery.  From
what I heard ans saw, it seems the most common complaint was tie-ups.  A
surprisig number of horses pulled early in the ride, most likely from going too
fast, which the cool temperatures made tempting.

 All in all it was a good experience, though a wee bit disorganized.  Riders
in the area really should come out and support this ride: volunteer!!!!  I hope
I volunteer at the next OD ride, if my schedule permits.  And next time I'll
have more warm clothing!!!

Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith