[RC] A volunteers experience at the Old Dominion: part 1 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Amanda Perez walkergirl@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, this is Amanda aka Walkergirl.  My email account is having siezures, hence
my posting as a guest.

 I cannot imagine putting on a ride like the OD.  The managers have their
hands full, and I hope they didn't have to go to wrk today!

 It is a credit to the management that another poster said 'There wer plenty
of volunteers'.  At the awards ceremony, they said ony 12 volunteers had
commited ahead of time, though the picked up more as people pulled.  The
management wisely put their efforts into making things go smoothly for the
riders.  That came at the expense of making things go smoothly for the vets,
however.  The eneded more vets, and communications problems meant that Art
King, the head vet, often did not know where his vets were.  There was also
some confustion at some of the vet checks, but this was not too obsvouse to the
riders.  I have volunteered to be a vet scribe and was assigned to work with
Joy Watkins.  However she ended up getting shang-haied into doing treatments at
the base camp (the 4-H center, a wonderful facility), and nobody, including Art
King, the head vet (who drive down from Canada) knew where she was.  So I ended
up playing find-the-vet most of the weekend.  Also, better volunteer info could
have been provided.  My packet did not include a schdule of events, or a map.
I was able to get a rider map, which had the trail routes marked, but something
similar with the road routes between the vet checks would have made my life
easier, as some of the raod signs were easy to miss.  In hind-sight, once I
lost track of my vet I should have headed back to the office and said 'put me
to work'.

of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop