Re: [RC] Still on breeeding ............ - Kristene Smuts

If you do it "in general" then yes, it becomes a crapshoot.  And this is
what too many people do--they have a "general" pedigree with no
consistency to it, and then they come away saying that the pedigree has no
prognostic value.>>

Heidi, all your points are well taken.  The reason I threw this out was still
on the subject of a "no name" horse, or one where you either cannot trace any
living relatives, no performance records (might have been a rescue horse where
papers were lost, etc) or where none of the offspring were registered so that
you can't trace the relatives.  What you have is the horse in front of you, and
your belief that the individual will produce quality offspring (not doing the
"aaaaawwww, wouldn't it be nice to have a baby" thing!), but a genuine belief
in what you see in front of you.

It would be nice to be able to do all the breeding on paper and trace all
records, but sometimes that just ain't practical ;-))

Kristene
South Africa

This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~  Dr. Barney Flemming DVM