Re: [RC] Still on breeeding ............ - heidi

Since learning more about good loins, I now too look at "long backs"
differently, but I would still steer clear of TB type backs.  As an
aside, over the weekend I was watching the Rider's Tour (jumping) on
telly and the most striking feature on every horse was the long back -
you could place an entire saddle and rider behind the saddle!!

You can find poor backs in any breed, but I would submit that one can find
more good backs proportionately in TBs than in just about any other breed.
I see the long backs in the rejects--but if one goes to the big barns in
places like Lexington and looks at body proportions, one rarely finds a
poor one.  I see more good bodies in the upper-eschelon TBs than anywhere
else--biomechanically less effective conformation does NOT get one over
the finish line first!  I also rarely see long cannons in good TBs, nor a
whole host of other stuff.  Where TBs fail in general as a breed for our
sport is shallow, shelly feet, temperament, and lack of long-distance
physiology.

FWIW, the Arab folks trying to breed race horses should take a serious
look at the proportions of quality TBs--instead of just trying to jack
Arabians up to be 16 hands.

Heidi

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards