Re: [RC] What do I need? - heidi

Please Reply to: Susan sewalker@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================================I am in the process of buying my
first endurance horse, and I was wondering what stuff I would need to be
able to condition and maybe compete my horse (won't be competing for a
long while, as she isn't conditioned right now). I know I would need a
bridle, saddle,girth, saddle pad, breastplate, splint boots, and I know
there must be some other things I am missing. What else do I absolutely
have to have, and what else would just be highly recommended but I
wouldn't die if I didn't have it?

Well, I've yet to use a breastplate (30+ years and 6000+ miles, and I
live, condition, and compete in MOUNTAINOUS country--never mind several
years of chasin' cows in these mountains before I ever heard of this
sport), and I just got splint boots for the first time last year for the
two geldings I'm currently riding, both of which have since "outgrown"
need of them as they've gotten in better shape.

A few stalwart souls have competed bareback, but most would say that the
saddle (with girth and pad) is a necessity, along with some sort of
headgear (bridle, hackamore, whatever works best for a given horse).
Beyond that, it all depends on the horse.  Less is more--if you don't need
it, don't use it.  All other pieces of tack have their purposes, but
unless a specific horse has a specific need for a specific item, they are
window dressing.

After you get your horse and start conditioning, you will be able to
ascertain whether or not your horse (or you!) might need other bits of
tack.

Heidi

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher