[RC] Bucking - GarnerT

My endurance horse, Taz, has never tried to buck with me in the saddle.  As
someone else stated, he's certainly spooked, bolted, jumped, gyrated,
twirled, & leaped - but never bucked!

On the other hand, my old endurance horse, Cisco,  bucked.  He liked to
buck.  He liked to buck me off.  The first time he bucked me off, he
launched me so high the air got thin.  This wasn't a just buck for the heck
of it, this was a concerted effort to get rid of me.  You can really tell
the difference!  I had a vaquero ride MOST of the buck out of him for me,
but I never completely trusted him after that!  BTW, he gave me a
concussion, & hurt my pelvis.  (Not that I'm going to whine after what
happened to Carol!)

Any horse can buck, but some horses really like to buck.  If Cosmo was just
the "any horse can buck" horse, I wouldn't be afraid to ride, but I sure
don't like those dedicated & talented buckers!

Kathy Garner

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith