From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rides2far@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 4:13 PM
To: RanDMeyer@xxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Sore back while training

I've been training now several months now and trotting several miles
at a  time now . No problem for my horse but not for me. I'm killing
my

lower back. Its  sore for 3 days after a ride. How do you guys do it?
I'm used to
riding with  my stirrups down and my legs stretched out. Easier on my
knees. May
be I need  to raise my stirrups so I can keep my butt off the saddle.
Ideas
Please.

If you've been riding your Walker's running walk in the usual style with
your feet out front, slightly leaning back, then you try to go from that
to leaning your body over your feet at a trot I would think it would be
real bear. If you're going to trot in the ride I'd shoot for a stirrup
that put my feet under me so that if the horse disappeared you wouldn't
fall down. At a trot  you just natually have to get up over your feet so
you're bending at the waist to do it. I had a jumping saddle when I
first
started endurance and my back was pretty much in permanent pain till I
got my OF Express. I lean forward very little, more vertical like the
dressage people than forward like hunt seat. I too have bad knees but
once your horse hits that trot and holds it I don't have any pain even
posting 100 (plenty of pain when I jump down though >g<). The thing that
hurts mine is to slowly lower myself down with tension on them (like if
I'm going from a trot back to a walk) Since I'm not lowering myself with
tension during the down faze of the posting motion it's not a problem. I
have more pain on training rides but my knees do great in competition
when we hold our pace. No back pain with my feet under me. Better to fix
the mechanical problem than listen to the people who brag about how many
Advil it takes to get them through a ride.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length
of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton