Re: [RC] Sore back while training - Chris Paus

Rod,

I compete with a herniated lumbar disk. What keeps me
going is PT- physical therapy. I went to a good PT and
got some exercises to do specific for  my back problem

DO NOT do exercises given to you by well meaning
friends. Chances are their back problems m ay not be
exactly the same as yours and their exerices could
make your problem worse! That happened to me... word
from the wise...

Also, yes, play with stirrup length, shorter and
longer, and different saddles. I have a favorite AP
saddle that I just love, but after about 2 hours, my
back really aches riding in it. I use a western style
endurance saddle and I have no backache. To accomodate
my legs and get more comfy, I had a saddler take off
the stiff western fenders and put on English stirrup
leathers for me. Works great! Helps my legs and my
back.

Also, when I just can't get around the back pain, I've
used a back brace that I sewed a little pocket in. The
pocket fits right in the place in my back that hurts.
I put one of the cold gel packs in the pocket and I
have cooling relieve while I'm riding.

Have a riding instructor check your position too.
I've noticed when I get sloppy with riding position,
my back will hurt more.

Hope these tips help!

chris
--- RanDMeyer@xxxxxxx wrote:
I've been training now several months now and
trotting several miles at a
time now . No problem for my horse but not for me.
I'm killing my lower back. Its
sore for 3 days after a ride. How do you guys do it?
I'm used to riding with
my stirrups down and my legs stretched out. Easier
on my knees. May be I need
to raise my stirrups so I can keep my butt off the
saddle.  Ideas Please.

thanks Rod

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop