RE: [RC] Metabolics of Endurance Horses - heidi

Heidi,

What is the difference in the muscle mass. I know there are two
different muscle types- at least in humans: fast twitch muscle and slow
twitch muscle. The fast twitch is the white meat or sprint type muscle
on our turkeys and the slow twitch is the darker turkey meat that is the
endurance type muscle. Kinda crude way of differentiating, but
effective.

Do arabians just have higher ratios of the slow twitch muscle?

There are actually three fiber types--fast-twitch, slow-twitch, and
intermediate.  The ratio of the three is something you are born with.  The
fast-twitch are indeed the sprint muscles (your "white meat") and the
slow-twitch are the aerobic ones (the "dark meat").

The intermediate fibers are "recruitable"--ie they have the potential to
become either fast or slow twitch, depending on how the horse is
conditioned.

And yes, Arabians as a breed tend to have much higher percentages of slow
twitch fibers, whereas horses such as QHs have much higher percentages of
fast twitch fibers.  You will also see variations between individuals
within a breed.

The number of intermediate fibers the horse has limits how much you can
influence him more toward aerobic activities or toward anaerobic
activities by conditioning him toward one or the other.

Heidi

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm