[RC] I'm alive! - Carol

Thanks to all the ridecampers who sent me get well e-mails. I'm finally home after 10 days in the hospital. The docs think it will be 3 months to a yr, before I have full use of my left arm again. It may never return to 100% but I'm hopeful it will. I'm just glad to be alive as I severed my brachial artery and could have bled to death. I was riding my greenbroke 7 yr. old Cosmo and we had already done a few miles when out of the blue he bucked really hard which sent me flying. I don't know what caused this as he had been a perfect gentlemen up to that point, no tail swishing or anything to indicate a problem.  I think he must have been bit by a deerfly or bee. Anyways as I stode up I realized my arm was badly broken or dislocated and sticking out of the antecubital skin (inside of elbow) The muscles, tendons, etc. were torn and exposed. The brachial artery was severed and bleeding profusely.  I was halfway through the Knickerbocker lope so knew I had about 4 1/2 miles back to my trailer. I yelled for help but knew there was noone else out there that day. My cell phone was dead as usual, doesn't hold a charge anymore. So I made a tourniquet out of the leather string I have tied to my rope reins, because I was getting faint from the blood loss.I drank all the water in my water bottle to try and get my blood pressure back up. I tried walking to the nearest house (several miles) but kept fainting from blood loss, so I knew my only chance of getting help before I bled to death was to get back on Cosmo. All this time he had stood by me quietly even though he was loose ( I couldn't hold him as I was trying to stop the bleeding) I tried to pull myself up with my one good hand but couldn't. There were no rocks or logs around, but I saw a ditch and made him stand in it. Then I was able to hop on, dragging my mangled left arm with me. Unfortunately, Cosmo was so freaked out by all the blood and the left arm flopping around, that he refused to move. I finally had to slap his but with my one good hand, knowing I'd really be screwed if he bucked me off again. But it worked and he started walking with little baby steps. This is a horse that normally pulls my arms off he likes to go so much. I thought great, at this pace I'm not gonna make it. I don't remember riding those last few miles, so I must have had angels watching over me. Sometimes I got so weak I just laid on his neck.I rode in the direction of where I thought the nearest houses were and finally found one that had someone home. A nice lady named, Vicky Rosbury ,took Cosmo for me and dialed 911. Next thing I knew I was being airlifted to Sutter Roseville Hospital, where I had several surgeries to repair damaged muscles, tendons, bone, and an arterial graft  and 2 blood transfusions. I am very thankful to still have my arm and be alive. At first I thought I would never ride again, but my girlfriend, Karlon Oliver would visit me every day and bring me horse stuff each time. So, by the time I was discharged, I was looking forward to riding again, just not on Cosmo. I don't think Cosmo bucked maliciously, but I'm not sure if I can trust him again. BTW, I was wearing my helmet, guess I'll have to get some body armour next and of course a new cell phone. Hope nothing like this ever happens to anyone else, but please be prepared next time you ride. Have first aid stuff, a tourniquet, working cell phone (even though they don't always work out where we ride), wear your helmet, and have a full bottle of water. The tourniquet and water saved my life.
Happy trails,
Carol