Re: [RC] Spider info - Truman Prevatt

The brown recluse is found mainly in the midwest from maybe Kansas East and South.  So if you were bit it the NW or SW or west or NE or Northern Plains it's highly unlikely it was a brown recluse.

Truman

Julie Fuller wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been bitten twice by spiders, and was real lucky both times.  Both times it was a hobo spider, resulting in weeping, ulcerated bites which took weeks and weeks to heal.  I was lucky in that I didn't get blood poisoning. (I'm giving massive doses of vitamin C the credit)

Most spider bites of this type are blamed on the Brown Recluse when in fact they are Hobo spiders.  The result is the same.  They can cause ulceration to the point of needing skin grafts, as two people I have known, (See why I said I was lucky) as well as flu-like symptoms.

Here is the URL to a great page with pictures and info about Hobo spiders

http://www.idahomall.com/hobospider/hobofacts.html

Julie
Washougal, WA

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."