Re: [RC] New England Journal of Medicine.. summary - Bette Lamore

Interesting--- I just clipped an article out of a Health Store Mag that gave a recipe of a few drops each of citronella, geranium, lemon, and rosemary essential oils with a few tablespoons of unscented almond oil. Dr. James Rouse, ND claims it is just as effective and nicer smelling than DEET! But I am not sure how much that would cost to do our horses! :-)
If anyone tries this out, let us know how it works. So far I haven't seen hide nor hair of mosquitos yet-- but then we've had VERY cool nights and the wind has really been blowing here! Thank goodness we no longer have a lake or pond on our property. It was gorgeous then, but would sure be a danger now! I'm even afraid to put water out for the dogs-- they have to come in. I'm hoping the waterers keep enough movement in the water to discourage mosquitoes. I bought some mosquito eater fish last year but boy were they expensive and I was told that goldfish do not help with the problem. Anyone know something I don't?(Entirely plausable :-) )
Bette

A. Perez wrote:

the thrust of the article is that DEET is still pretty much the
most effective repellant and is not highly toxic:

..."DEET is far less toxic than many people believe. Adverse
effects, though documented, are infrequent and are generally
associated with gross overuse of the product. The risk of
DEET-related adverse effects pales in comparison with the risk
of acquiring vector-borne infection in places where such
diseases are endemic. Users should avoid the temptation to apply
the most concentrated formulation available and, when using a
more dilute product, should reapply it as protection wanes.
Alternative "natural" products generally fail to live up to
their reputations for greater safety and effectiveness and offer
their users a false sense of security. "

from NJOM website:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/1/2

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)

I can tell you after sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back
of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ
one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're
just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :)
~  Tina Hicks