Re: [RC] attack of the killer horse flies - Mary Sutliff

Yellowjackets!  We have a horse that foundered as a reaction to the WNV
(another story) we on his first ride out after 6 months of recovery was
stung over 50 times by yellowjackets.  I was riding the first horse
through and when my husband yelled "Bees" we ran.  His horse decided to
stay and fight and that is why he got stung so many times.  One he got
moving and we stopped a ways on to check the horses the yellow jackets
were still stuck in that horses mane and tail.  The horse had to be
treated as an emergency by our vet and his feet got sore again.  Another
3 months off.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to protect this horse from future
stings?  He's my husband's main saddle horse and is ok now.  We worry
what this summer and fall with bring.  Sure hope it's not another bad
year for yellowjackets!

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards