[RC] Hay and feed testing - Patti Kuvik

For those of you interested in in testing/checking your hay and other feed,
Dairy One lab has started a "horse division" - Equi-Analytical
laboratories - http://www.equi-analytical.com/default.htm. Even if you don't
want to get this involved, the web site has some interesting information,
including an online easy to use reference to the NRC nutrient requirement
tables (they are a bit outdated - last updated in 1989 but do give basic
requirements).
They also have "starter" packages which include four basic hay or six
hay/feed analysis runs and a hay probe (which usually sells for $100 plus
shippping from other sources)
http://www.equi-analytical.com/Services/Starter%20Packages.htm . If you've
always been curious about your horses' hay and feed, they've made it about
as simple as possible to jump in.

Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ
Personally, I shouldn't give a s--- where the other people on the course
are, and if I find myself starting to concern myself over this, I remind
myself that this is the first step on the road to overriding my horse and
tell myself to "knock it off!"  :)
~  Kat Swigart