[RC] Race Time Comparisons between TBs and Arabs - k s swigart

Chris Paus said:

My stallion is a retired Arab racer. He ran from 1986
to 1990. He won quite often and his best races were at
the mile. His times were about 1:54 in the mile.

The record for the mile is about 1:32 on the dirt and closer to 1:31 on
the Turf.  A more typical mile will be won in 1:35 - 1:40 depending on
the condition of the track.

A time of 1:54 is more common for the Preakness distance of 1 3/16
miles and the record for the 1 1/4 miles (on the dirt) is 1:57 4/5
(Spectacular Bid).  So a TB can go about 20% further in the same amount
of time as this arab.

I do
believe current Tbs run the mile faster than that, but
I'm not sure how TBs who raced in the same decade as
Szybki stack up.

About the same as the TBs of today.  These records were set in 1968,
1998, and 1980 respectively.  Times for TB race horses have not improved
much over the last 1/2 century.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown