Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] EPM

I believe the spinal fluid has to be lab-tested to see if the EPM is active; I don't think a visual evaluation will work.

I would first try a blood test to see if the horse has even been exposed. The blood test can only rule EPM OUT - not tell you if it is active. However, my horse tested negative for EPM so we did no further testing for EPM.

Also, many people feel a spinal tap is no big deal, but I do not. IMO, it is a highly invasive, expensive procedure with its own risks. I have a quote from a well respected equine neurologist stating that if clinical signs are present, a case can be made to treat the horse for EPM without a 100% firm diagnosis that I can share with you if you are interested.

Kristen in TX