Re: [RC] Man O' War - Kristen A Fisher

Also I believe some TB names are permanently retired and cannot be re-used.

----- Original Message -----
From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 11:12 PM
Subject: [RC] Man O' War

Renie said:

i resent the fact that the same name can now be
assigned a different horse after a set number of years.
I am hopeful that my all time favorite, Man-O-War
doesn't crop up tagged on some $1500 claimer.

In the TB world the same name has been allowed to be assigned to a
different horse after a set number of years for a long time (and there
are also many horses with the same name in different countries, e.g. in
addition to the world famous Eclipse, the English horse after whom all
the awards are name, there is also an American Eclipse).

However, Man O' War will not crop up tagged on some $1500 claimer
because the acceptability of registering a different horse with the same
name is only allowed if the original horse never won a race (or maybe
it's a stakes race) and/or has no registered progeny.  Neither of these
criteria apply to Man O' War (who is also MY all time favorite:)
although I must confess that I might be willing to metion *Ribot in the
same breath with respect to great accomplishment).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair