[RC] Spam, Spoof, Virus Danger - Tina Rushing

I have received a number of "mail delivery failure" notices from my ISP re:
messages to addressees that I do NOT know (that is, I do not recognize them
and they are NOT in my address book).

I received a message from one ridecamp subscriber because he received a
virus-laden attachment that appeared to be from me.  I did NOT send the
message, and the ridecamp subscriber who received "my" message is NOT in my
address book.  The ridecamper was savvy enough to contact me; I'm sure that
he thought it was odd that I would send him an attachment.

I don't know how the spoofers and spammers do this stuff.  Because the spoof
messages that I am aware of were not sent to people in my address book I
assume that the spoofed addresses were not mined from that source.  Perhaps
there is a connection to ridecamp?  I subscribe to the digest version.

Be cautious about opening attachments, even from people you "know".

I keep my virus, spyware, and spam filter software up to date and at max
security levels.  I install system security updates as soon as I am
notified.  I don't visit porn or music sites, or sites that might be
sketchy.  I close my mail program before logging on to the internet.  My
computer is only turned on when I am using it, and when I am not using it I
unplug my phone line.  Is my paranoia level sufficient?

Will the techy types on this list offer security suggestions?  ('splain it
like you would to an 8-year-old 'else I'll have to call on my neighbor's kid
for a translation :)

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith