[RC] Thorn in ankle/Swelling - Kari Hanes

After 4-H last night we noticed our daughters gelding had some swelling in his back leg just above the ankle, the leg felt slightly hot with no wound or apparent reason. We put cold running water on it for 30 min. last night. This morning the swelling was slightly less so we repeated the 30 min. of cold water, again the swelling went down slightly. After we were through my husband did an inspection again and found a small thorn pointed out just above his ankle that wasn't there last night. We've put some drawing salve on it in case there is more left under the skin. He is not lame on it at all. And we're on a 3 times a day schedule with the ice water.

There is a possibility that the thorn had nothing to do with the initial swelling. Last night was the first time we filled out stock trailer up, he rode side by side with a mare in the trailer with no partition between them. He may have been stepped on or kicked while in the trailer. They usually ride alone in each compartment, but we took extra horses last night.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on treatment? The vet isn't available until monday and it's an hour+ trailer ride to get there as out local equine vet has stopped treating horses.

TIA
Kari Hanes
Montalee Arabians
-it's always something!-