[RC] to breed or not? - Dot Wiggins

I remember Tezero, he was a special pony!    And I'm sure you are aware that
Suzanne Hayes' good horses are mostly Tezero/Morgan.

When it comes to breeding a good mare there are two schools of thought.

"I can't afford to breed her, I need her to ride, she's the best horse I
have."
or
"I can't afford not to breed her, I want another horse with her good
qualities."

The first thought often results in mares no one wants to ride raising colts
that don't turn out well.  There was a reason no one wanted to ride them.
And the qualities of the good mare get lost.

The second thought, coupled with some careful selection of a mate, should
get a foal you will enjoy for years.  And you will always know all the
baggage that comes with the baby.

If you are lucky your gelding will be fine to ride while the mare is a Mom,
and if he isn't, maybe you can find someone with a horse that needs riding
to fill in for a while.

Good luck which ever way you go.

There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all
night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and
get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride,
especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth.
~  Karen Chaton