Re: [RC] polish/cmk lines percentages - heidi

Though I am not well versed in bloodlines, it seems polish and cmk lines
are "inter-crossed" (new word!)?   How does one determine the percentage
of each line?  For instance, I have a '99 Arab gelding that I am
starting ("Altura GA Spirit") that seems to have a polish sire line, but
it would appear he has CMK in his dam line. His breeder insisted he was
"pure polish", but I am curious as to how to determine the percentage of
CMK.  Just as an aside-- his build is like a mack truck.  14.2hh, @
900lbs and 81/4" cannons with *huge* heart girth.  He is often mistaken
for a quarter horse-- people can't believe he is Arab--registered even.
Must be the "old lines" currently being discussed.  Thanks for your help
with this.  Erica DeVoti

Hi, Erica--yes, indeed, it sounds like he is built for the job...  <g>

To determine the percentage, one follows each branch of the pedigree back
to where it is no longer "crossed" to something else, and then determines
the percentage that each of those branches constitutes, and you add it all
up.  Occasionally there is some overlap--such as when Polish breeding
programs imported Crabbet horses, etc.

You are right that there has been a lot of intermixing in American
breeding.  The majority of American pedigrees are best described as "mixed
source" pedigrees.  (And it is utterly amazing how many American horses
are referred to as being "pure Polish" when they are no such thing--in
fact, in many cases they are well over half CMK...)

I'll take a gander at his pedigree and give you at least a rough
percentage privately.

Heidi

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani